There’s nothing more annoying than plummeting your teeth into a freshly cut slice of watermelon and having the taste fall flat. So, what’s the secret to picking a perfect watermelon every time?
Here we have some tips to guide your choices while planning to buy the perfect watermelons.
1. Go heavy, or go home: Watermelons are 90 percent water, so the heftier they are, the sweeter and juicier they’ll be. Pick up several watermelons of similar size and go with the heaviest one.
2. Bald is beautiful: Turn the watermelon over and examine it. That soft yellow spot show on the bottom, where the melon reinvigorated on the ground, may look unattractive, but it means the melon is ripe. If it’s light green, the melon is not ripe enough.
3. Scratch (sniffing not necessary): Give the melon a little scratch with your fingernail. A greenish-white color just below the outer rind indicates the melon is ripe.
4. Inspect the tail: A dried tail indicates that the watermelon is ripe. However, if the tail is green, it probably means that the watermelon was picked too soon and will not be ripe.
5. Give it a good squeeze: The best watermelons don’t have soft spots, so give it an once-over for firmness any buy it.
So, consider the above tips while picking perfect watermelons next time.