Parents often complain that their children spend more time in front of a screen than they do studying or in outdoor activities and sports. If this is an ssue in your family too, you need to take some concrete steps to correct the situtaion. These are a few things that you can do.
How to Reduce the Screen Time of Your Family
– No screens in the bedrooms. Make this a ground rule in your family that there can be no TVs, Computers or Playstations in any bedroom.
– The second very important rule is that there should be no TV during meal times. Never let the TV compromise your family time. Also, eating while watching TV makes us overeat, thereby affecting our health.
– Eliminate background TV. So unless you are actively watching a show, turn off the telly.
– Set a good example for your children. If your kids see that you turn on the TV as soon as you enter the house and remain glued to it till the bed time, you can do little to stop them from watching too much TV.
– Engage in other activities. Introduce your family to other activities like reading together, family fun games, sports etc.