We toil and tumble, we meet people and form relationships, we buy things and we consume things, we work hard and we often party hard, WHY? We do everything we do in the pursuit of happiness. Happiness is the sole goal that drives us. Some people find happiness in success and money, a few people find happiness in friends and family, partying and enjoying is happiness for some people. But do these things really make us happy, or is it just momentary pleasure that we derive out of these things?
For us to be persistently happy, we need to follow some basic rules. What are these?
1. Happiness is not success or money. Once you accept this, you can find the true path to happiness.
2. Friends and family bring pleasure and do count towards our happiness. But one should also look for personal happiness, that comes from within.
3. Let go of all negativity and try to adopt a positive approach in life. Most people are so cynical today that we will respond with a negative question to everything. We need to start believing again.
4. Your spouse is the biggest ally in your happiness. Focus on the quality of relationship you share.
5. Let go of your ego. This will solve most of your problems.
6. Choose your battles very carefully. Often we take up fights that really are not that important in the long run.
7. Keep things light. Humour is great at making you happy. Surround yourself with people who have a sense of humour.
8. Cultivate a hobby. Hobbies are great stress-busters and also offer opportunities to make friends.
9. Take care of your health. Get regular moderate exercise and try to eat sensibly. Good health is highly under-rated.
10. Always remember that you have only one life to live. Do you want to spend it agonizing, fighting and hurting? Or would you rather enjoy every possible moment? Let this thought alone guide you in your decisions.