An optimally working tyroid gland is necessary for good health. An underactive or overactive thyroid will lead to metabolic disturbances and other allied problem. This is why you should focus on maintaining good healthy thyroid function. If you keep trying to lose weight and it does not seem to be working, probably this has something to do with an underactive thyroid. Similarly, some people struggle to put on some weight due to an overactive thyroid function.
Here are a few things you can do to maintain optimal thyroid function.
– Include adequate amount of iodine in your diet. Do not increase your salt intake, rather consume iodine rich foods like seaweed, fish and other seafood.
– If you suffer from an underactive thyroid function, reduce your consumption of soy and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, kale etc.
– If you are a non vegetarian, increase your consumption of organ meat, seafood and muscle meat as these are rich sources of Selenium and help in improving thyroid function.
– Legumes, pulses, eggs, milk products, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and nuts are good for regulation of thyroid function because these items are rich in zinc, copper and selenium. Consider a supplement if you cannot get enough of these trace elements in your diet.
– Regular exercise is also important in thyroid regulation.
With these tips, you can easily manage thyroid problems and be healthier.