You must have heard a new term “Mindfulness”. It is the latest health related term that everyone is talking about. It is encouraged to practise mindfulness for physical and mental well being. Overall, it means to be aware of yourself, your feelings, your surroundings etc, and to be at peace with these things. But when it comes to being healthy, mindful eating is yet another term doing the rounds these days.
What is Mindful Eating?
Mindful eating means to be aware of what you are eating and why. It discourages chomping down on chips just because you are bored etc! Here are a few highlights:
1. Eat only when you are hungry.
2. Physical cues like hunger or low energy lead to eating. Emotions like sadness or depression or fear do not make you eat.
3. Eat only those foods that provide nourishment. Banish unhealthy items that taste good but are bad for you.
4. Eat at fixed times only and in company of friends and family.
5. When eating, don’t do anything else. Focus on your food and on enjoying it. No TV or books while eating!
If you follow these 5 rules of mindful eating, you will find yourself slowly becoming healthier and fitter!