One of the leading causes of infertility in women today is ovarian cysts. When you first hear the word, you might get scared and imagine the cyst to be a dangerous, possibly life-threatening problem. But in reality cysts are rather common and often harmless! PCOS, or the polycystic ovary syndrome, is the reason why so many women find it hard to conceive naturally. This is why it is important that every woman be acquainted with exactly what an ovarian cyst is and how it affects health.
What are Ovarian Cysts? These are fluid filled sacs or pockets that are found in the ovaries. Usually they are harmless and don’t cause any discomfort or pain. They are a part of your natural monthly cycle, appearing and sisappearing without any cause for concern. But sometimes, they grow bigger and begin to cause pain and discomfort. Presence of a large number of cycsts causes infertility.
– Cysts are a part of natural monthly cycle, each follicle can be considered a cyst, till it bursts to release an egg.
– Some cysts can continue to grow without any symptoms till they become very large and cause pain.
– Cysts in younger women are benign but in post-menopausal women cysts are a cause for concern.
– Abdominal pain that refuses to go away can be because of an ovarian cyst. See your doctor as soon as possible.
– Some cysts need to be removed surgically.
– Cysts in the PCOS patient are harmless – but they do lead to infertility.