We hear the word “foodie” so often on TV these days and most of like to think of ourselves as foodies. Yes, we enjoy our food and have a healthy appetite. But has it ever occured to you that you could be a food addict and not a foodie?
Who is a Food Addict?
A food addict is a person who lives to eat. Food addiction is like any other addiction, tobacco, alcohol or even drugs. It is dangerous and harmful, and every effort should be made to put an end to it. But the first step towards that is to recognise that you have a problem.
Symptoms of Food Addiction
1. You crave certain foods and cannot get them out of your mind when you do.
2. You try to focus on other things, but your mind keeps coming back to the craving.
3. You make excuses to yourself why you should have the object of your craving.
4. You feel like you have no control over yourself, and you give in. Usually, you will not restrict the serving size.
5. You experience a temporary satisfaction which does not last for more than a couple of minutes.
6. Immediately you start berating yourself for giving in!
If this is the pattern of your cravings, please understand that you are a food addict and need to address this issue right away. Food addiction is as bad as any other substance addiction and needs to be nipped in the bud!