Reema’s husband Paresh was diagnosed with a high level of Cholestrol last month. Since heart disease seems to run in Paresh’s family, Reena was very concerned and worried about her husband’s health. But the doctor explained to Reena and Paresh that Cholestrol could be kept in control simply by making dietary changes. Here is what the doctor advised Reena and Paresh:
How To Lower Cholestrol With Changes in Diet
1. Eat more of high fibre foods like oatmeal and kidney beans. Oatmeal contains soluble fibre, which helps in lowering the bad cholestrol (LDL). Kidney beans, pears, prunes and apples also contain soluble fibre.
2. Eat more of fatty fish. Fatty fish contains Omega 3 Fatty acods which help in lowering BP and prevent development of blood clots.
3. Reduce your intake of salt. Sodium increases the blood pressure and combined with high cholestrol, it spells damage to your health.
4. Include more of walnuts, almonds and other mixed nuts in your diet. Nuts contain high does of poly unsaturated fatty acids, which reduce bad cholestrol and keep blood vessels healthy.
5. Avoid use of table margarine, butter and ghee completely. Use olive oil, canola oil or mustard oil for cooking.
6. Try to use very little oil in cooking. One can easily cut down the salt and oil by half in Indian dishes without compromising too much on the taste!
7. Avoid use of coconut and coconut products in your food.
8. If eating eggs, try to limit yourself to one a day, 3 days a week. Avoid eating the yolk completely. Red meat is a complete NO. Go for poultry or fish instead.
9. It is imperative to get regular exercise to keep your weight in check.
With these little changes in your lifestyle and diet, you can easily control your cholestrol levels and be healthy for life.