Heart disease is one of the biggest killers in our country. We all have someone in the family who is suffering from poor cardiac health. We all know someone who died of a heart attack. It is so common that now we regard poor cardiac health as a sign on ageing and as a natural outcome to be expected in the forties. But does it have to be so?
There are many things you can do to prevent cardiac illness. Implementing some changes to your lifestyle and cultivating some good habits can delay the onset of heart disease, if not prevent it completely. Here are a few things you can do:
1. Maintain an optimal weight. If you are obese, get your weight in control and also reduce your BMI.
2. Keep your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholestrol levels under control. If you are already suffering from diabetes, hypertension or high cholestrol, take regular medicine without fail. If not, then work towards preventing these maladies.
3. Get some expercise regularly. Even an hour long daily walk helps a lot!
4. Eat at least five servings of fresh fruit and vegetables every day.
5. Give up red meat completely. Eat more fish.
6. Avoid processed foods and also fast foods.
7. Avoid eating too much of oily or fried snacks.
8. Use good cooking oils like Rice Bran or Extra Virgin Olive oil.
9. Reduce consumption of butter and ghee.
10. Prevent weight gain around your abdomen, this is the most dangerous area to have flab in.
11. Have healthy oatmeal for breakfast!
12. Get your daily dose of Omega 3s. If you don’t eat fish, get some supplements.
13. Cultivate some sort of hobbies. These help in busting stress and stress is no good for heart health. Dancing is a great choice!
14. If you enjoy alcohol, keep in in limits and go for red wine.
15. Practice yoga and meditation.