For most people, it’s already too late when they realize that they have been abusing their bodies. Mr Kapoor, for instance, had a serious heart attack before his wife could convince him to cut down on his drinking. She is still trying to convince him to reduce his salt intake! Hope he listens to her and cuts the risk of having a heart attack. So, what are the 5 major risk factors to your heart?
1. Smoking – It has been repeated a million times, but smokers do not listen! Smoking or living with a smoker increases your chances of having heart disease. Smoking increases plaque in your arteries which can lead to clogging of the blood vessels. Stop Smoking before Smoking Stops you!
2. Being Inactive – Modern lifestyle dictates that we have desk jobs, we watch a lot of television and we have all the modern gadgets to help us remain inactive. In fact, a research states that 4 hours of television or more increases the chance of having a heart attack multifold.
3. Being stressed – Healthy amount of stress that goads us into being active is ok. But, we remain stressed for the better part of the day (and night), leading to diseases such as high cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, all of which increase the chances of having a heart attack. The simple advise is “Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron”!
4. Ignoring Dental Health – Yes, this is also one of the factors. Poor dental health and gum disease increases the chances of artery inflammation, which can be a major cause of heart attack. So, take good care of your teeth and gums!
5. Overeating – We are a generation that loves to eat. McDonalds, KFC, Dominos, Pizza Hut – You name it, and it is available at the drop of a hat. What’s more, happy hours lets us eat more for less money! But, it is important to note that for one, all of these are junk food which are high in fat content. The other thing is to reduce your eating portion size. If you can keep your weight under control and your eating habits sensible, you may be doing your heart a favour.