The traditional Cristmas cake is fruity and moist. It can be prepared a few months in advance, and fed regularly with alcohol of your choice or made the night before. Here’s a recipe that you might enjoy working wit, and eating too!
Cristmas Cake Recipe
Dried Fruit (apples, pears, apricots, prunes etc), chopped finely: 250g
Raisins and Currants: 600 g
Rum or Whiskey: 400ml, and extra for feeding
Brown Sugar: 200g
Eggs: 4, and 1 Lemon
Plain Flour: 300g
Ground Ginger: 1/2 tsp
Ground Cinnamon: 1 tsp
Ground Cloves: a pinch
Ground Almonds: 150g
1. Pour the alcool into a saucepan, add the dried fruit, and bring to a simmer. Cover and leave overnight.
2. Preeat the oven to 150 C. Line your cake tin with double layer of greaseproof paper.
3. Blitz half of the soaked dried fruit in a mixer and churn it into a paste.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add in the zest of your lemon and now add the eggs, one at a time.
5. Sift the flour, mix with spices and almonds, and add to the cake mix a little at a time, alternating with the soaked fruit.
6. Finally add the Walnuts. Now bake in your preheated oven for 21/2 hours. Now check the cake by inserting a skewer into it and seeing if it comes out clean. If not, bake for another 20 minutes and check again.
7. When the cake is done, take it out and brush it with more alcohol. If making in advance, wrap the cake in greaseproof paper and tinfoil. Now regularly feed it alcohol by pouring over the top. This can be done 2-12 weeks in advance.
The cake is now ready!