Edible insects are becoming a trend in many cities including UK and USA. London’s Archipelago restaurant tops their creme brulee with a bee and Manhattan, New York’s Tolache offers grasshopper-stuffed tacos.
Here is a sample recipes from “The Eat-a-Bug Cookbook” by David George Gordon:
Recipe: Crispy Crickets
– Preheat the oven up to 100 degrees celcius.
– Strip the antennae, limbs and wings from 20 to 30 clean, frozen adult crickets, or 40 to 60 cricket nymphs.
– Spread the stripped crickets on a lightly oiled baking sheet and place in oven.
– Bake until crickets are crisp (around 20 minutes)
Yield: one cup.
– Sprinkle these on salads or put them through a coffee grinder to turn them into bug “flour.”
You could combine the crickets with Chex Mix for a protein-rich snack.
One day you might get a surprise, when you reach home and these six-Legged Meat is served for your dinner.