If you love the North Indian staple dish Kadhi Chawal but can't cook it yourself, we bring you the recipe today. Kadhi chawal is a combination dish made from steamed rice served with delicious "kadhi". The thing about kadhi is that it is not very complex or difficult to cook, but it does take a long time to prepare!
How to Make Delicious Kadhi Pakoda
Ingredients: Sliced onions - 2, finely chopped ginger & garlic, Besan 1 1/2 cup, Sour curds 2 cups, whole red chilies, hing, methi seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, oil and spices to taste.
- Start by mixing the curds and 1 cup besan in a large mixing bowl. Whisk away all the lumps so that you have a smooth batter. Add 2 cups water as you whisk. Add turmeric, salt and red chilly powder to this batter.
- Now in a large pan or kadhai, pour 2 tbsp oil and place on the stove. When the oil heats up, add in 1 tsp methi seeds and 1 tsp mustard seeds. As these seeds begin to splutter, add the whole red chillies, add in choped onions and curry leaves. Fry till onions turns pale golden brown.
- Now add in the curd/besan mix and stir well. If the mixture begins to get too thick, add a little water. When the mix comes to a boil, turn the flame to low and let it simmer. The kadhi needs to be in this stage for at least an hour. You will need to stir occassionally, and perhaps add a little water every now and then. The hot kadhi may bubble and splutter, so be careful to not get burned.
- While the kadhi cooks away, it is time to fry your pakodas. Just make a light batter with besan, water and seasonings. Fry little balls and keep aside.
- When the kadhi is nearing being cooked completely, add in the pakodas and cook for another 10 minutes.
Your kadhi is ready! Serve hot with rice.