As parents read about the dangers and growing incidence of childhood obesity, they try to set their children on a healthier path. But the mistake that a lot of parents make is that they try to alter diet of their children only. Very few parents think about the activity level of their children. It is great to encourage children to eat less candy and more of salad. But one needs to remember that high calorie food is the dietary requirement of a growing child. What is a good diet for you may not necessarily be a good diet for your growing child! So instead of blatantly cutting calories from your child's diet, try to make them more active.
How to Encourage Kids to be More Active
The basic rule to remember is that your children need 'active time' every single day. Strolling in the park is not active time. Active time is the time they spend actually moving and getting their heart rate up.
- 1 to 2 hours in the park should be a daily rule. Try to make this time as active for your child as possible.
- Try out different activities with your child. Try to find out what interests her the most.
- Buy sporting equipment like tennis or badminton racquets, footballs, basketballs etc.
- Try to cut down family TV time. Spend this time on shared activity, games and fun. Even jumping rope contests can be fun!
- On weekends, make special plans with your kids. Take them to a swimming pool or an inood stadium or any other special place to enjoy some special activity.
What you need to remember is that kids take after parents. If you are active, they will learn to be active too. But if you are a couch potato, your kids will be couch potatoes just like you!