Have you ever been in that situation where you cook up lovely curries and other delights for your guests, but your rice turns out sticky and clumpy? This happens to the best of us! No matter which brand of Basmati you use, your rice can turn out clumpy if not cooked with care! Here are a few tips that will help you master the art of cooking perfect fluffy rice every time!
- Wash thoroughly a few times in excess water and soak for 2-3 hours before cooking. This is done to get rid of chemicals like arsenic that are slowly going into our bodies through our food. Rice is especially linked with Arsenic poisoning, so make sure you wash and soak, and wash again before cooking.
- Correct ratio of rice and water is important. You need 2 cups of water for every cup of rice. Any more, and your rice will turn out sticky. You do have the option of cooking rice in excess water and draining the excess. This method makes good fluffy rice.
- When cooking rice, add in a little salt and a few drops of oil or butter.
- Cooking rice needs a lot of attention. You cannot put it on the stove and just forget about it!
- When water starts boiling, let it boil till the water is reduced in the pot. When you cn easily see the rice and water on surface is very less, turn the flame to very low and cover the pot.
- Turn off the flame after 5 minutes. Your rice is done!
Often we see that when we turn off the flame, rice looks perfect but when we actually start eating, it has become all mushy. To prevent this, place a kitchen towel on the top of pot in the place of lid. The towel will absorb all steam that is escaping. This will stop rice from cooking further in the steam.