When it comes to preparing quick and healthy breakfast for your family, most working moms love to dish out the cereal bowl. Cereal is okay, but have you tried granola yet? Granola is also a kind of cereal that is immensly popular in the West. People love it because it is not just healthy and easy, but also very delicious. It is not just used as a breakfast dish, granola is a popular snack for both kids and grown ups - it is a comfort food for many people!
Though many supermarkets and stores in India now sell Granola, it is best to make your own batch in your kitchen. This gives you control over the health quotient as most store bought Granola is not very healthy (but delicious). Granola is very eay to make and you can store it for a few weeks so it is very convenient to use.
How to Make Your Own Granola
- Rolled Oats: Please make sure you have whole oats as oatmeal is not suitable for this recipe. Whole oats are healthier and give more bite.
- Nuts: You can choose your own favorite nuts to add to your granola. For the healthier options, use Walnuts. Slivered almonds are another great choice. Pecans and pistacchios are also popular choices.
- Seeds: Make your granola healthier by adding sunflower seeds or any other seeds you enjoy.
- Berries: Any dried berries like kishnish or cranberries will add sweeetness and antioxidants to your granola. You can also add dried apricots for the same effect.
- Salt and spice: A little salt is required to lift the taste of granola. Spice is optional. You can use cinnamon or ginger powder to give it a warm and earthy taste.
- Healthy fat: Use olive oil or coconut oil as per your choice.
- Sweetener: Honey or maple syrup
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Mix all the ingredients together nicely. Use proportions according to your own preference and liking. Pour everything into the baking tray you have prepared. Bake the granola for 20-25 minutes. You will need to stir the mixture 2-3 times while baking. We want the granola to be clumpy and crispy. Do not go for too much crispiness while baking as it will crisp up while cooling later.
Allow to cool down for 4-5 hours. Store in air tight container. Serve with warm or cold milk!