Most people consider their health to be based on health of their heart. We usually worry about thinsg like weight, BP, cholestrol and blood sugar etc. But we rarely think about the health of our precious kidneys. Yes, they are precious - simply because these bean shaped organs keep our systems clean and flush the waste out of the body. What could be more important?
Here are a few tips to keep kidneys happy and healthy:
- Drink plenty of water. Your kidneys can flush out waste efficiently only if you drink enough water.
- Quit the butt! Smoking is known to be related with kidney disease, especially in diabetics.
- Don't pop too many pills. Certain medications like painkillers can lead to kidney disease by restricting flow of blood to the kidneys.
- Keep good health generally. Cutting down on alcohol, maintaining healthy weight and being active are all great for the health of your kidneys as well!
- Reduce intake of salt. Since salt, water and kidneys are all interlinked in the body's cleansing system, it is important to protect your health by reducing intake of salt and keeping BP in check.
- Consume plenty of fresh produce. Eating lots of fresh vegetables and fruit is great of health of your kidneys.