Everyone knows that we should practise personal hygiene to prevent disease and sickness. But one lesser talked about topic is how to practise hygiene in your kitchen. Your family may be very hygienic and clean, but if you serve food that's not clean enough - you can't expect to keep sickness at bay!
Kitchen Hygiene Tips
1. Keep your kitchen clean. This means use disinfectant wipes to wipe the counter top and other surfaces regularly. As soon as you are done cooking, you should clean up the mess on the counter top and stove.
2. Pay attention to the kitchen towels and sponges. These are places where there usually is bacteria happily multiplying away because of the humid environment! Change your sponge often and wash the towles regularly with hot water.
3. Clean all utensils and tools with hot soapy water before and after cooking.
4. The sink needs some attention too if you are waging a war on germs! Use bleach to clean your sink regularly.
5. Do not buy too much produce in one go, buy only that which you will consume in 3 days. Produce is attractive to bacteria and often causes stomach diseases.
6. Always wash your produce properly before you start cooking. Even the rice and dal you make needs to be washed at least 5-6 times to completely get rid of chemicals sprayed on it!
7. Your chopping board is another hothouse for germs. It needs a good scrubbing and cleaning with hot soapy water after every use.
8. Avoid leaving your food at room temperature for more than 45-60 minutes.
With these tips, you should be able to provide your family with healthy and nutritious meals without fear of germs!