Many people feel that they are doing everything right, yet not losing any weight. Everyone knows the basic mathematics behind weight loss. You consume less calories and you burn more during your routine daily activities plus exercise, you will end up losing weight. People think they are taking care of both these parts of the equation, but the scales just don't budge in the desired direction.
Reasons Why You Might Not Be Losing Weight
- Emotional eating is a very common culprit. When you are going through an emotional roller-coaster, you don't even realise that you are eating a lot more than you should.
- Mindless munching throughout the day is another culprit. When you count your calories consumed, you count all the big meals. But you often don't account for the cookie you ate with coffe at work or the mathri you had with chai in the evening. Every morsel of food counts!
- You are eating more carbs and less proteins. If you reverse this, your metabolism will go up and you will also see that a protein based diet keeps you fuller longer as it takes more time to be broken down.
- You may not be drinking enough water. When you don't keep your body well hydrated, your body holds on to whatever it has in the form of water retention.
- You are consuming too less calories. When you do this, your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to whatever it gets by building fat deposits and lowering the rate of metabolism.
- Not getting enough sleep can also hamper your weight loss efforts. In fact studies show that not getting enough sleep puts one at risk for obesity.
- Medical conditions like Diabetes, PCOS, hyperthyroidism etc can also cause disturbances with your weight. Seek medical attention for weigth management if you have any problems like this.
If you have been trying to lose weight but are not successful, try to analyze objectively if you are really doing everything as you should be doing them.