These days people get all sensitive when we talk about celebrating festivals in an eco friendly way. So let us begin by stating that this is not about toning down Divali cenebrations. Divali is and will always remain our biggest festival. There is no reason why we should celebrate it with any less fervour than we do. Yet there are a few things that everyone can do to make this festival more environment friendly. We bring you a few tips on how to do this. If you follow even a single one of these tips, you will have achieved the goal of making Divali environment friendly.
How to be Environment Friendly during Divali
1. Light up traditionally. Chuck the Chinese lights that you need to replace every year! These lights cost money to purchase and also increase your electricity bill. Go for traditional Diyas and Candles that help in supporting local small scale industries and also look much prettier when they light up.
2. Make your own eco friendly Diyas. This could be a craft project for you and your kids. Make diyas out of cocnut shells or even wheat dough. Paint and decorate them to make them look attractive. You could even make gifts out of your eco friendly diyas.
3. If your Divali feels incomplete without crackers, this one is for you. Switch to eco friendly crackers that are made from recycled paper. These crackers do not make more noise than the acceptable decibel limit prescribed by the Pollution Control Board.
4. Gift a potted plant to all your friends a relatives. This is the best way to go green during the festivals. Choose beautiful and attractive pots to make your gift look more enticing!
5. If possible, opt for community fireworks. This helps in reducing the quantity of fireworks and pollution caused by them. Sharing the fireworks also reduces burden of costs on each family and increases the feeling of being part of a community.