We are at the end of this year and it is time to look forward to all the things that the new year will usher in for us. Bollywood films is one of the things we always discuss before a year begins. What do we have to look forward to in 2016? Surely, there are the big films of the Khans to look forward to coz they will never retire, will they? But what other cinema do we have on offer next year?
You will be thrilled to know that 2016 might be a big year for the women in Bollywood. We have big films that are women centric and will most probably do well at the box office. Which films are these?
1. Neerja: This is a high voltage thriller based on athe real life story of India's youngest Ashoka Chakra winner, Ms Neerja Bhanot. Neerja single handedly saved lives of 368 people aboard a flight in which she was an air hostess. She could not herself make it, but her bravery has made sure that Neerja will always be loved and will continue to live on forever in our hearts. Sonam Kapoor has been signed up to play the role of this brave young woman.
2. Chalk and Duster: Probably it is not a mass audience film, but it will appeal to you if you appreciate fine cinema. Juhi Chawla and Shabana Aazmi play two school teachers who are passionate about their profession. Divya Dutta tortures them as the devil boss!
3. Jai Gangajal: What comes after Gangajal? Jai Gangajal. Like her predecessor Ajay Devgan in the former, Priyanka Chopra plays a tough cop in Jai Gangajal. Fireworks and women power!
4. Ki and Ka: This is a relatively new theme for Bollywood, a career woman and a stay-at-home husband. Kareena Kapoor and Arjun Kapoor might make this an interesting watch.
5. Haraamkhor: Nawazuddin Siddiqui plays a teacher who falls for a student, played by Shweta Tripathi. The Lolita theme is not very new but remains unexplored in Bollywood more or less.
6. Sarabjeet: You are probably in the know about this biopic based on the story of Indian farmer Sarabjeet Singh who languished in Pak jail for decades before dying, while his sister Dalbir Kaur moved heven and earth trying to get him released. Aishwarya is playing the devoted sister's pivotal role here.
7. Fitoor: Based on Dickens' Great Expectations, the two main characters are played by Aditya Roy Kapoor and Katrina Kaif. Tabu essays the role of Miss H. Expect great performances.
8. Saala Khadoos: This is a sports based film. R Madhavan plays the role of a retired boxing coach while Ritika Singh plays a young boxer.
9. Ae Dil Hai Mushil: Aishwarya and Anushka will bag all the glory from this one. Ranbir Kapoor gets to romance both the ladies, but evidently the ladies will steal the show!