It seems that the whole country is in the grip of swine flu. Though it is just another kind of flu, swine flu takes many lives every year. This year also, the numbers are quite frightening. But there is no reason to be alarmed. You don't need to get yourself tested just because you sneezed! The symptoms are same as seasonal flu, and swine flu can also be treated at home just like the common flu. It is only when complications arise due to other underlying conditions and vulnerabilities, that medical help is required.
Here is how you can guard yourself against swine flu, mostly just plain common sense.
- Maintain distance from anyone who is or looks sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as this can cause you to contract the virus.
- Wash your hands frequently with soa and maintain general hygiene.
- Keep your surroundings clean. If someone is sick in your family, take special care to wipe all surfaces clean regularly.
- Vulnerable people i.e the elderly, children and pregnant women should avoid crowded places.
- Get proper exercise, lots of fresh air, good nutrition along with water, and adequate sleep to maintain good fitness and health.
If you are sick:
- Use tissue to cover your nose/mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Avoid crowded places.
- Avoid contact with people eg shaking hands etc.
- If your condition worsens after 3-4 days or if you experience chest pain, breathlessness etc, get medical help immediately.