....the alarm beeps at 6. Snooze and ignore. Beeps again and again till you suddenly arrive into consciousness at 7:30. God, you are late! You decide to skip bathing coz it's winter time anyway. Decide to skip breakfast too, you can always have a snack at the office. You quickly get dressed, wake up the baby and dress/feed her while your partner gets ready. Within 30 minutes, everyone is ready to face the day. Drop the baby at the daycare, rush to work. Once again, you are 20 minutes late!
Does this sound familiar?
If you are not able to wake up in time every day, it is because your body is trying to tell you that it needs more rest. You are either sleeping too late, or not sleeping well, or not sleeping at all in the night. In either case, you need to work on getting enough sleep during the night, so that you can wake up early and fresh.
How Much Sleep Do You need?
According to the National Sleep Foundation, we need different durations of sleep at different ages.
1. Infants between 4 to 11 months require 12 -15 hours of sleep.
2. Toddlers (1-2 years) require 11 - 14 hours as opposed to 12 -14 which was prescribed earlier.
3. Preschoolers (3-5 years) - 10-13 hours.
4. School kids (6 - 13) require 9 - 11 hours.
5. Teenagers (14 - 17) - 8 to 10 hours of sleep.
6. Adults (18 - 64) - 7 to 9 hours of sleep.
It is also reported that 46% of Indian adults do not get adequate sleep. Are you amongst those?