When you have been eating pizzas and burgers for your daily meals, and fries and chocolates as snacks, it does seem very difficult to start eating healthy. In fact, if you have had unhealthy eating habits for very long, changing over to a healthier diet would seem like a daunting task. But it need not be! If starting on a healthy diet plan, start with baby steps. Here's how:
- The first thing is to shop smart. Stock your fridge with fresh produce. Do not buy packets of food, in fact do not buy anything that has a shelf life of over 15-20 days. Do not stock your cupboards with instant anything.
- The next smart thing to do is to add loads of veggies to everything you like. If you are making noodles or fried rice, reduce the carbs content and add loads of veggies. Similarly, if making a pizza, top it up with loads of vegetables and use less cheese. Go thin crust too!
- Read the labels on everything! Often the product may say something on the top of the packet or jar, but turns out to be something else when you read the label properly.
- Eat products that are in season. When you eat cauliflower in summer, you are unknowingly consuming a huge amount of pesticides. So eat only seasonal fruit and vegetables.
- Do not avoid fat like plague! There are good fats like egg yolks, olive oil, fish oil, avocado etc that you can eat in modertion.