It's easy to feed a little baby who wants nothing but milk! But feeding a toddler is an entirely different story. The mother of a toddler is still not used to the idea that her angel can now explore different kinds of foods. What makes it worse is that your toddler cannot be given certain food items to eat, she cannot digest certain foods, she cannot even chew certain foods! This is why most mothers stick with a simple dal-rice, khichdi and daliya menu for their toddlers. But they go through a heart breaking phase when the little one refuses to eat anything served to her! Why won't she eat?
Your toddler is probably refusing to eat coz she is bored of the food you serve. You may not like this thought, but just put yourself in her shoes. Would you like to be fed khichdi every day?
Here are a few things you can try to make your toddlers' meals more interesting and varied.
1. Add some beetroot to her khichdi or rice or even daliya. Not only are you giving her a big boost in iron and vitamins, she will also love the bright red colour. To make it more appealing in taste, temper it with cumin seeds in ghee.
2. Use boiled potatoes more often. From creamy mashed potatoes to a vegetable-potato tikki, your baby will love them all.
3. Try pancakes. If she seems to have a sweet tooth, make your pancakes sweet and serve with a topping of jam. If she seems to favour savory items, add some boiled/mashed veggies to the flour-egg mixture and season with salt. She will love these pancakes with ketchup!
4. Toddlers also enjoy dosas, uttapams and besan pooras.
5. Add cheese to your dishes and she is bound to enjoy whatever you dish out!
Use these tips to maximise your toddler's enjoyment of food. At this age, you can feed her food stuffs rich in calories as she needs all those calories for her growth and development!