Most middle aged people in India fall prey to one of the 3 killer diseases: diabetes, hypertension, and high cholestrol. Fortunately, all the 3 diseases can be managed with a few changes in lifestyle and diet. One food item that is very helpful in these health problems is Oats. Traditionally oats are eaten with milk in the Western diet. But we Indians have a distaste for such bland food. So Memsaab brings you ways to make this bland food item more yummy and interesting, without compromising on its nutritional value.
- Start by chopping assorted veggies finely. You could use peppers, carrots, potatoes, shell peas etc.
- Now in a pan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the chopped veggies to boiling water and let them cook for a few minutes, or till they turn soft.
- Now season this boiling mixture with salt and masala as per your taste and preference.
- Lastly, add in a few tablespoons of rolled oats. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish wih chopped coriander and serve hot.
Similarly, you could also rustle up an oats upma, oats poha, oats idli etc. In fact, rice, semolina, flour etc can be sustituted with oats in most dishes. So just get cracking and rustle up as many yummy healthy dishes as you like!