Detoxification, or "detox" is a common buzzword in the fitness circles these days. Everyone wants to try a detox diet so they can lose weight faster. But detoxification has far greater benefits than just helping you get in shape. A proper detoxification of your body will rid it of all impurities and toxins. Your liver, kidneys and blood are made free of the toxic substances that have built up due to our toxic diet, water and air. This helps in improving immunity, lowering blood pressure, lowering cholestrol and improving blood circulation. It also brings freshness and glow to your skin, thereby making you look younger.
Many detox foods and drinks are available in the market these days. But if you really wish to detoxify, you just need to raid your kitchen and fridge to make your own detox drinks. To start your detox programme, fix a day every week for detox drinks, avoiding any other food or drink. Here are a few ideas:
1. Green Cocktail: A concoction made of the juices from assorted green leafy vegetables is rich in iron and vitamins. It is a great boost for your health, metabolism and immunity.
2. Berry Punch: A cocktail of juices of assorted berries is rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
3. Smoothies: Fruit pulp mixed with milk is not only yummy but also filling. Great choice for your detox days!
4. Green Tea: It is known to be full of antioxidants. Avoid adding sugar, add a little honey if you must!
5. Spice Tea: Boil a few whole spices like cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. This water is full of the natural goodness of all the spices and it builds your immunity.