The winter has kicked in, finally, and most of the Northern India is reeling under the fog and cold wave. It is this season when your body's defences are down and sickness creeps in. But it does not have to be so. With the right care and healthy habits, you can remain fit and healthy through the harsh winters. Here's how:
How To Be Healthy in Winters
1. Try to get some exercise every day. Indulge in your favorite activity for 30 minutes everyday. Even brisk walking counts. Not only does exercise improve your immunity, it also warms you up considerably and burns those excess calories that you consume with the comfort food in winters.
2. Keep your bathroom extra clean. If someone in the family catches a cold or flu, so does everyone else. Why? It is because the virus thrives in damp environment and spreads. So give special attention to your bathroom and stop sharing brushes, towels, soaps etc.
3. Switch to paper towels. Not only is it difficult to do the laundry in winters, cloth napkins are also safer environments for the virus to thrive in. So use the paper napkins and tissues to blow your nose or wipe your face.
4. Wash hands very diligently. Experts suggest that soap should be rubbed in your palms for at least 10 seconds to completely kill the germs. Do this at least a few times a day and you will improve your immunity by a large degree.
5. Get your daily dose of 5 servings of fruit & vegetables. In winters, most of us tend to switch to warm comfort foods and avoid fruit, salad and vegetables. But this can cost you your health. So try to get at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables every day. Soup it for warm comfort!
6. Insulate your house well. Try to cover all holes and opening with plastic sheets. Since we do not use heating in India, this is even more important.
7. Get your beauty sleep. The nights are longer in winters so it is natural to sleep slighly longer. Do not berate yourself over this. Your body needs to consrve the energy and heat, hence the hibernating tendency. Try to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every day.
Eat well, work out, guard yourself against germs and get proper rest...and you shall be fighting fit throughout the winters.