Indian complexion is generally wheatish and because of the harsh sun in this part of the world, the skin tends to tan faster. Sun tanning refers to the skin becoming brown which is caused due to excessive exposure to the sun. Over exposure to the sun also leads to the skin becoming dull and lifeless and causes wrinkles and dryness of the skin. The skin also tends to age faster due to this. Above all, over exposure to the sun can lead to skin cancer. It is thus imperative that if you are required to be in the sun for over 15 minutes in a day, then you use a protective sun screen of over 30 SPF. In case you have a sun tan, then please read further on how to remove it. Consult your dermatologist as well.
1. Apply a face mask of curd and cucumber juice and leave it for about 20 minutes. Rinse after 20 minutes with cold water.
2. Mash a banana with milk and apply on the face. Rinse with cold after after about 20 minutes.
3. Mash a papaya with cold milk and apply on the face and neck. Rinse with cold water after about 20 minutes.
4. One of the very effective remedies is to mix equal quantities of sugar cubes and lemon juice. Using lemon peels this mixture is to be applied to the tanned skin. Go on scrubbing with the lemon peels for about 20 minutes. Leave it for about 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water. This remedy provides a natural bleaching effect.
5. Make a mash of a pulp of tomatoes. Apply it to the skin and leave it for about 20 minutes. This remedy can be done on a weekend preferably late in the evening so that the skin gets to rest after this.
6. Coconut water works magic for your skin inside out. Before throwing away the cocount, take the white fleshy part of the green coconut, work it into a paste in a grinder and keep it on for 15 minutes. It has natural whitening properties and will un-tan you in really quick time.
7.Sandalwood can do a wonderful job of keeping your skin fair and clean. Just add 4 drops of sandalwood oil to 2 tsp of sandalwood paste and use it as a face mask.
For Arms and Legs: Mix gram flour (besan) with curd, lemon juice and a little turmeric into a paste. Wash off after 30 minutes. this for thrice a week.
For Hands: Take 2 Tbsp sunflower oil and 3 Tbsp coarse sugar. Mix this into a paste. Rub it on your hands. Rinse after about 15 minutes.
For Feet: Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon in a shallow tub of water and soak feet in it. This will cool, clean and remove the tan and odour. Rubbing a cut lemon on the feet also would do a good job.