Everyone knows you've got to burn off more calories than you consume if you want to lose weight. But for most people, it is easier said than done. Our upbringing decides our patterns of eating. If you've been brought up on a diet comprising parathas for breakfast every day, it would be hard to switch to fruit. Even if you do go on a diet and successfully curb the paratha-itch, you shall forever feel lousy and dissatisfied. Yes, our food culture has a deep impact on what we eat and how.
So if you cannot easily change your eating habits, the other option is to get more active and burn off whatever you eat. Working out is becoming a fad these days. More and more youngsters are registering at gyms for exercise and even working people try to make time for gymming on at least a few days a week. Do you? If not, this article is for you.
How To Burn Calories Without Going To The Gym?
1. Take The Stairs. This is the most common advice you may have heard, and it always works. Even if you climb two flights of stairs every morning, it is better than sitting on your ass all the time. The higher up your office/apartment is, better it is for your health. People who climb 5-7 flights of stairs every day are generally healthier and slimmer than people who don't.
2. Give The Messenger A Rest. We all use some kind of messenger service in our offices. Why don't you go back to the old ways and walk to your colleagues when you have anything to discuss? Your body gets a break from the sitting, and your legs get a little exercise every now and then.
3. Take Out The Car Less Often. If you are going out to the nearby market for groceries, leave the car behind. Make it a rule that you shall not take out the car/bike unless your destination is at least a kilometre away from your house.
4. Stop Looking For The Closest Parking Spot. If you are like most people, you probably spend 10-15 minutes looking for the perfect parking spot, so that you don't have to walk much. Why? Do yourself a favour and park your car a little far away from your destination. This saves you time, stress and also helps in cutting fat.
5. Get A Dog. Walking a dog is a great exercise because it never feels like exercise. It is so much fun that you forget you are being active.
6. Give Your Bai A Day Off Every Week. If you give the bai Sunday-off, she'll be more enthusiastic on the remaining 6 days of the week. And it will also help you in burning a few calories doing the chores yourself.
7. Use The Public Transport. Not only is it good for the environment, it is also great for your health. It forces you to walk a few meters to your house from the bus stop or the metro station. This has a great impact on your health over time.