“Customer is the King”, they say. And in this age of fierce competition, this is rather true. But being an informed and gracious customer can get you that extra attention. Spa or parlor or salon etiquette is not a much discussed topic in India. Many women wonder if it really exists! Most of us are at a loss on proper salon behavior. But don’t let this stand in the way of your being loved as a client at your favorite salon. Just read the following guidelines and your stylist/attendant is bound to look forward to servicing you again.
• Always fix an appointment, especially if your salon is a rather busy one. Make sure you arrive at least 10 minutes before the appointed hour. These minutes can be used by the staff to have you gowned and in a chair - ready for your stylist.
• Do not miss your appointment. If you have to cancel, call up and inform the parlor at least a couple of hours in advance. Everyone deserves that courtesy, even your stylist.
• If you are sick, you should reschedule your appointment. If you arrive sick, you are bound to keep sneezing/coughing throughout the session. Not only can your sickness worsen due to wet hair etc, you may also spread the infection.
• If you are planning to get a new hairstyle, you should do your homework. Gather as much information as you ca about the new style you want. If you are not sure about the style or its name, bring along any pictures that you find interesting.
• Switch off the cell phone while you are in the stylist’s chair. This also means that BlackBerrys, laptops, palmtops, ipods, magazines are all a strict No No! Using either of these things is likely to ruin the haircut as you will not be able to sit in the proper upright (head held straight) position.
• If you are not happy with your new haircut, let the stylist know then and there so that something can be done about it. Don’t feel too shy or embarrassed about showing your dissatisfaction.
• When getting a wax, remove any item of clothing that may stand in the way. Spas and salons usually offer loose gowns that provide easy access for waxing, while at the same time covering you up. Use the gowns.
• If you are going for a massage, take a shower before you go. This will not only make you feel and appear fresh, but will also give you confidence. This also makes sure that you can leave on all the oils and soak them in throughout the rest of the day.
• It is advisable to get the hair removal treatment done before you go for a massage. But if you have not been able to do so, relax. The masseuse is a professional, and probably used to it. So don’t let this ruin your enjoyment of the massage.
• Always use the bathroom before you begin any treatment. If you need to go in the middle, it is OK. Just let the therapist know and she’ll be fine with it. Don’t panic because of such a small matter.
Hopefully, this should be enough to make you a preferred client. Remember to not ruin your hairstyle by talking too much while you are getting it. Even hairstylists need to focus! Be appreciative and polite to everyone, and don’t forget to say Thank You!