So what is the first impression you convey to someone you meet? Do you come across as sexy and interesting? Or do you seem like a country girl bound to home and hearth? Do you look pretty and inviting? Or do you look old, haggard and unsightly? Does it look like you care for yourself? Or do you come across as a naïve in the fashion/looks department?
All these things can be conveyed in the first impression you cast of yourself. And what makes the first impression? After your clothes, it is your hands and feet that get noticed by anyone. Remember how you ignore guys with sloppy/unpolished shoes? Similarly, men also reject women with “sloppy, unclean and uncared for” hands and feet.
But male attention is not the reason why you should be taking care of yourself. Do it for yourself. Pamper yourself and you will feel heavenly. Not only will you feel good about yourself, you will also become more confident and self assured. Memsaab brings you the Do-it-yourself Manicure Guide. Manicures are rather easy to do, so there’s no need to waste time and money at the salon. Keep those coffers for the coffee shops yaar!
Steps For Giving Yourself A Manicure
1. Step number one is to clean your nails. Use a soft-bristled tooth brush along with soap to clean your nails. Get rid of all those black spots and lines under your claws. Use a good quality nail-polish remover to get rid of the old nail paint.
2. Now soak your hands in warm soapy water for at least 10 minutes. If you have excessively dry hands, you could use milk for this step. This should make your hands nice and soft.
3. Apply a little moisturizer on your hands if you wish to do your nail-polish right away. On the other hand, if you wish to postpone the nail-art for a couple of hours or a day, rub your hands with warm coconut oil now. This is great for toning and moisturizing your hands.
4. To begin the nail art, file/trim your nails as required. Give them a nice rounded shape or a flat-tipped shape as per your choice. Remember that all your nails should be almost the same length.
5. Wash off the debris from the filing/trimming. Now apply the base coat on each nail. Base coat should be applied in 3 strokes only. The first stroke should be applied in the center of the nail. Follow with one on the left and one on the right side. After the base coat dries, apply one more layer to give a nice shine and longevity to the nail paint.
6. Once your nails are dry to touch, apply the first coat of the nail polish. Follow the same 3-stroke principle here also. Be patient and wait for the first coat to dry. Now follow with the second coat of nail polish.
7. After the nails are once again dry to touch, apply a layer of clear top coat. This will help in maintaining the nail polish for a longer time.
8. Use cuticle cream regularly to keep your cuticles soft and young.
9. Wear gloves when gardening or doing any other activity that can harm/soil your nails.
More than anything else, you should always keep your hands nice and clean. There’s nothing as repelling as unclean nails or soiled hands. You do want to shake those hands with people, right?