Determining your skin type is easy, but is as important as knowing your skin tone. It is as much help to you in buying moisturizers, cosmetics, facial cleansers and taking the overall care for your skin.
So what is your skin type? Never bothered to find out? Here are a few steps that will not take much of your time, but will really help you take care of yourself for the rest of your life!
1. Wash your face with a skin cleanser, then rinse and pat dry.
2. Wait for one hour.
3. Note whether your skin feels "tight."
4. Press a separate piece of tissue onto each area of your face: chin, centre of cheeks, outer cheeks, centre of forehead, outer forehead and nose.
5. Examine each tissue and look for oily residue or flaky skin residue.
6. Interpret the results. Oil on each tissue indicates an oily skin type, while oil on only some tissues (specifically those on the T-zone, which is the centre of forehead, nose, chin and centre of cheeks) indicates a combination of skin types. Flaky skin residue on all tissues - without oily residue, or getting a tight feeling in the skin indicates a dry skin type. No oil and no flaky residue on any parts of the tissue indicate a normal skin type. The point to be noted here is that normal skin types are not normally found. So, dont get anxious if you discover your skin type to be not normal!
7. Pore size is another indication of skin type; small pores generally indicate dry skin, while large pores mean oily skin.
Remember that there are many factors that affect your skin type, such as weather, emotions, hormones and stress, and this will cause variations in your skin type from time to time. For example in winters your skin may appear dry, while in summers it turns oily. Although these are general variations, and do not effect your basic skin type, you may need to take care of your skin according to the weather.