It is the season of Master Chef in India and we all feel a new interest in cooking when we watch the show. You must have noticed in Indian as well as international cookery shows that the chefs prefer to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). Why do you think is that? We have heard that EVOO is good for the health, but how? Is it good for everyone? One trip to the store will tell you that EVOO is much more expensive than the traditional cooking oils we have been using. Is it worth the extra expense?
5 Benefits of EVOO
1. It is good for cardio-vascular health. Consuming EVOO regulrly helps in loweing the blood pressure and also improving the LDL/HDL levels. It also prevents blood clotting and improves the blood vessel lining.
2. EVOO can be a preventive tool against ancer. It has antioxidant properties, which means it reduces the level of free radicals in body, thereby preventing cancerous growth.
3. EVOO can also protect against degenerative mental diseases. By preventing the formation of beta amyloid, it guards against Alzheimer's Disease.
4. Immunity levels are also seen to be good in the people who consume EVOO regularly. This is again because of the antioxidant properties.
5. EVOO has anti inflammatory properties which help in guarding against diseases like Diabetes, hypertension, cncer and Alzheimer's. The C-reactive proteins which spread inflammation are fought by the Oleic acid in EVOO.
There is no doubt that EVOO is great for health. But experts say that if you can't cook with EVOO, just spead a spoonful over your salad everyday and you can enjoy the benefits.