Working women in India usually face many challenges. They have to balance the family life with their professional life. Juggling homely duties and work duties often leaves no time to socialize. You may want to have friends, but inviting someone over to your place seems like such a difficult task when you have only the weekend to recuperate from your long work week!
This is where potluck parties come in.
A potluck party is one where each guest is expected to bring in a dish of their own, so that the host doesn't have to spend much time and effort cooking. But it's not as simple as it sounds. What if you invite 5 couples and they all bring biryani? Potluck parties need more planning than just calling your friends over for a party. We bring you a few pointers on how to be the potluck pro of your gang.
- When you begin to plan your party, start by planning the number of dishes you need for entrees, for mains and for dessert. If you are not providing the drinks, you need to allocate that too!
- You don't want the dishes of your guests to clash. It would not be very pleasant to have dahi vada with Chinese fried rice, right? So plan a basic theme before you start calling friends.
- When you call your friends with an invitation, tell them what kind of dish they are expected to bring. For instance, if you are speaking to Shiela, tell her that she has to bring a starter dish. Give her some time to get back to you with ideas and then both of you choose her dish together.
- When you partner with your guests in choosing their dishes, there is little scope for any dishes to be repeated.
- As the host, you should provide some basic things like salads and possibly the drinks. You should also have at least two dishes of your own.
- Your guests will probably want to warm their dishes in the oven or on the stove. You should make proper arrangements for that. It is a good idea to know beforehand who will need what when they are in your kitchen.
- It is also your job to provide adequate cutlery, glasses, plates etc. As the host of the potluck, the job of cleaning up also falls on you. Often guests may offer to help with cleaning up, but don't assume they will. So it is a good idea to enlist the help of your maid with the cleaning up.
- Lastly, cooking is not a big deal when you are hosting a potluck party. But providing the entertainment certainly is. You want your guests to go home happy, feeling they had a good time. So plan some group activities and games for everyone.