There's a reason why every Mediterranean kitchen has a pot of Basil in the window. Basil leaves are not just a fragrant ingredient of the Mediterranean diet, but also offer various health benefits. Did you know that the humble Tulsi in your "aangan" can cure many diseases?
Health Benefits of Tulsi
- The leaves have various healing powers. They remove the catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tube. This is why they help in respiratory disorders like Bronchitis.
- They sharpen the memory and also help in soothing strained nerves.
- Tulsi leaves remain unmatched in their medicinal properties against fever, sore throats and common cold.
- Basil leaves are full of antioxidants and essential oils that produce eugenol, methyl eugenol and caryophyllene. These substances help the pancreatic cells which store and release insulin in functioning properly. In effect, Tulsi helps in dealing with Diabetes.
- Tulsi also helps in regulating BP and Cholestrol, thereby protecting the heart.
- Tulsi leaves are also known to help in dissolving kidne stones.
- Regular consumption of Tulsi leaves keeps the skin supple and young.
- Tulsi can also help if one is trying to quit smoking. The antioxidants help in reducing stress induced by giving up the cigerettes.