Every time a festival is around the corner, we hear stories of adulterated sweets being sold all over the country. It seems like we can just not buy sweets any more without the fear of risking our health and also that of our loved ones. Should we stop consuming sweets, which are an integral part of our festivals and culture? No, because there is a simple solution to this problem. Why don't you try to make your own pure and hygenic sweets?
As Holi is around the corner, Memsaab brings you an easy recipe to make your own Gujias for this occassion.
Pure & Unadulterated Gujias at Home
Ingredients: Ghee to fry, Maida 500 g, Khoya 500g, Green Cardamom Powder, Chopped Nuts and Raisins, Shredded dried coconut 50 g, Sugar 350 g,
1. Start by sieving the flour and making the dough. Add 6 tbsp ghee to the flour and rub lightly with your hands till it becomes flaky like breadcrumbs. Now add a little water and knead into a soft but firm dough. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside.
2. Now fry the khoya in a wok till it changes color to a light golden. Add the cardamom powder, sugar and nuts and raisins. Fry the mixture for another two minutes, then keep aside.
3. Divide the dough into small balls. Roll out each ball to a diameter of 4 inches. Spread a little mixture on one half of the rolled out ball. Roll the other half over and seal the edges with your fingers. Make sure the filling doesn't ooze out. Prepare all the gujias like this.
4. Now fry the gujias in ghee on a medium flame till light golden brown.
5. For extra sweetness, dip the gujias in a sugar syrup, if required.