The wedding season is here! It seems a little strange, but even today a large percentage of Indians marry their children off in the age old way - arranged marriages! But arranged marriages are certainly not easy either on the bride or on the groom. The first meeting, especially, is an event that sends shivers down the spines of all prospective brides. "Will he like me?" "What should I wear?" "How should I talk?" These are a few questions that plague the mind of such girls endlessly.
If you also worry about how to handle the first meeting, here are a few tips.
- Avoid wearing too much make-up or loud clothes/jewellery etc. Dress in a simple and elegant way.
- Before you go to meet the prospective groom, find out all the information you can. Go through his FB profile, tweets etc, google him, and see his Linkedin profile. The information you get will give you leads to talk about so that there is no freeze in the conversation.
- If you are nervous, remember that he is too. So try to relax and make him comfortable as well. To do this, calm yourself and keep the conversation going.
- Easy topics to talk about when there is a lull in conversation are hobbies, weather, traffic etc.
- It is okay to ask him about his salary, job and lifestyle. If you have issues with smoking/drinking/non vegetarian lifestyle, don't feel shy about asking him.
- It is rude to ask him about past relationships etc. If you do decide to get married, the past does not really matter so keep that chapter closed.
The most important thing is to remain calm and keep a smile on your face. Good Luck!