Most of us tend to overeat when we are depressed or upset. But even apart from the emotional overeating, most people tend to eat a lot more than their body requires. This is really the only reason why so many people are fat these days. As our activity levels have come down, thanks to all the modern conveniences, our body's requirement of nutrition has come down too. Whatever is not burnt off, gets stored as fat. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to derive that the simplest way to lose weight is to know when to stop eating, thereby eating lesser!
How To Stop Overeating
- Eat off smaller plates. When you eat off big plates, you generally tend to eat more without even realizing it.
- Cut down the portion size. If you are really hungry, you can always go for a second helping!
- Eat slowly. It takes a little time for the brain to register that the stomach is full. Give yourself the time to realize that by eating slowly and chewing properly.
- Drink a glass of water before you start eating.
- Always include a salad before your main meals. The salad fills you up nicely and you will eat lesser of the fatty stuff that follows.
- Whenever you find yourself upset or depressed, please do not turn to food for comfort. Try cultivating a new hobby or take up an activity like jogging, swimming etc.
These little tips can be very useful in avoiding binging and cutting calories. At least give them a try!