Obese kids are a common sight these days. What else can we expect when the culture of children playing in parks, streets and backyards has all but disappeared! Our children are now exposed to a sedentary lifestyle right from an early age when we hand them the TV remote, just to keep them quiet for a while. They grow up watching us glued to the screens of our computers, playing games or facebooking. It would be a little un-natural if our kids were not lazy, unhealthy, unfit and obese. So how can we change this scenario and encourage the next generation to be more active and healthy?
Tips To Make Your Lazy Kids More Active
1. Get a dog. There's nothing more fun than having a dog, and a dog is enough to make the children run around. This is the easiest way of making your children active, and making sure that they enjoy it too!
2. Get them to help in the kitchen. Did you watch Junior Masterchef for Australian children? Those 8 year olds could cook better than we can at our age! Learning how to cook is a great thing, and it should be learnt at an early age. If you ask your children to help with the cooking, they learn new things, are less lazy, and eat healthier home cooked food more often.
3. Introduce a little activity without the child realising it. When your child wants a new toy, make him/her walk with you to the shop. It may not always be feasible, but you can cleverly make it possible every now and then.
4. Play with your children. If you want your kids to be more active, you have to show them the way by setting an example. Take them to a park where you play with them. Even watching their parents play a game of badminton or tennis can be very encouraging for most children coz they naturally wish to do what their parents do.
5. Start dancing sessions. Dancing is a great and fun way of burning a lot of calories. If your child is shy or obese, he/she may not wish to join a dancing class. So why not start those jam sessions at home where the whole family dances to a favorite number? This will boost your child's confidence, teach him new moves, and burn those calories too.
These are a few simple ways to make your children more active without having to lecture them about being lazy or obese. Try them and see if they work for your kids.