If you are eating Pasta at a restaurant or from a pizzeria, you are probably not doing yourself any good. Pasta, the way it is served in restaurants and pizzerias is hardly what can be called healthy. It is laden with butter, cheese and carbs. The high salt content is another concern. But it sure tastes good, which is why you tend to eat more of it. Another health concern!
Can Pasta Be Made Healthy?
Sure it can! Why else would the Italians be so healthy? All you need to do is be careful about what goes into the making of your favorite Pasta dish. As far as possible, avoid eating out if you want pasta. It is easy to cook, and fun too. So DIY!
- When buying pasta, never buy anything except the 100% whole grain pasta.
- Make sure that a lot of veggies go into your pasta. As a matter of rule, more vegetables and less pasta make for a healthy meal.
- Avoid cheese completely. If you like a sauce, go for the red one made from tomatoes and garlic.
- Do not use butter in your pasta.
- Add tofu, paneer or chicken to give some protein to your dish.
- Use extra virgin olive oil to make your pasta.
- Go light with the salt.
If you take care of these things, your pasta will be more of a friend and less of an enemy!