The weather is changing again. You do know what that means, don’t you? Every time the weather changes, people fall sick like a stack of cards! One person in the family catches the bug, and within a week the whole family is sick! All your friends are sick, all your colleagues are sick and even your neighbors cough all through the night!
What do you do when you have a sore throat? Reach out for an antibiotic pill, or rush to the doctor’s? Sore throats can be painful besides being “oh! so inconvenient”. But if you take proper care, you can avoid these sore throats. There are home remedies for both prevention and treatment of the seasonal throat problems. Read on…
• Ginger Tea: The humble “adrak wali chai” is the best item to help you in preventing sore throats. One good idea is to store the peels of ginger every time you are using it for cooking. Now drop a few peels in every time you make tea! If you run out of peels, just grate some ginger into water and boil for at least 5-7 minutes, before adding the tea leaves or sugar. Ginger tea should be had in the night as well as in the morning, because throat infections usually catch you unguarded during the night.
• Warm Water Gargles: Gargling with warm salted water helps in disinfecting the throat. This is a “must do” ritual before going to bed throughout the winters.
• Watch What You Eat: Eating a well balanced diet is always essential. But when you know that a bug is going around, you need to be extra careful. Avoid chilled drinks, fried snacks and sour food items.
• G&G: Ginger and garlic are your best friends during these months. Both these items have medicinal properties and help in digestion as well as protect you from infections and colds. Apart from G&G, use black pepper liberally in your food.
• Hot Kawah: Boil a little of whole spices like cinnamon, black cardamom and cloves in water. Drinking this helps in relieving the symptoms. To increase palatability, you could add a few tea leaves and sugar after you have boiled the spices for 5-7 minutes.
• Fenugreek: Fenugreek (methi) is very effective home remedy for sore throats. Boil some fenugreek seeds in water and allow to simmer. This is kept for half an hour on a low flame. Strain out the leaves when it cools down a little. The liquid is used as a gargle for treatment of sore throat.
• Alcohol: Taking a spoonful of whiskey or brandy before going to bed helps in preventing cold and throat problems. It also warms up the body and aids in restful sleep.
• Grandma’s Syrup: Grate a big piece of ginger. Place it in a muslin cloth and squeeze out the juice. Now make a thick syrup by adding honey to the ginger juice. Take a spoonful every few hours if suffering from a bad throat. Take one spoon in the night to prevent sore throats. Also, do not throw away the grated ginger after squeezing the juice. Use it for making ginger tea.
• Tulsi Chai: Drop in a few leaves of Basil when you make tea. Basil is known to have medicinal properties and helps in preventing/treating colds and coughs. You can also add ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and a clove to make this drink a very potent medicine!
• Hot Soup: Have hot soup seasoned with black pepper and salt (only). Avoid Chinese flavors or sauces.
The idea is to eat and drink foodstuffs that are “hot” in nature. Keep yourself protected from chilly winds and avoid fried/sour food. Remember, prevention is always better than cure. So don’t forget those gargles and that tea!